Free online resources to support school to work transition during COVID-19
We are aiming to work together to make sure that when we are on the other side of this pandemic, those doors to employment swing back open for young people with disability. To make this happen, it is important that during lock down we continue to build skills and knowledge among the Ticket to Work networks and broader community. As part of this, in response to the survey results, we have provided this online resource hub, including Ticket to Work resources and resources from others in the disability and employment space.
The survey aimed to look at what we can do at Ticket to Work to support school to work transition during COVID-19. The feedback was that you wanted a range of resources:
- to support career development and transition preparation for students with disability at home
- use the time to build skills and knowledge in effective school to work transition
- resources for parents to support their child in preparing for school to work transition
Career development tools you can do at home
- Career Development tools and resources
- Transition Tips: Enhancing Career Related Skills at Home: Video and tip sheet
- Interactive tool to help teens with disabilities plan for the future and explore careers
- Videos on different occupations, from USA but with videos about 1 minute gives chance to step into the shoes of so many jobs
- The Get Ready for Study and Work student workbook provide tips, information, contacts and activities to help students with disability make a successful transition from school into tertiary study, work or post school programs. Easy english version available.
- Work experience during school is the number one indicator of employment post school. This can be difficult in our current climate so here is a virtual work experience with companies to try out a career.
- Get prepared for work experience post lock down by doing OHS training through Job well done
- Online career tools, resources and industry information on Australia government websites; skills match, myskills, myfuture and career, education and workplace learning
- This video is demonstrating the eight employability skills and important general skills that employers look for.
Career development through Customised Employment tools
- Discovery in lock down guide (hyperlink guide) provides options for delivering core discovery services virtually as a means for ensuring forward progress amid the restrictions, associated with the COVID-19 outbreak
- Marc gold customised employment site has 26 articles and how-to manuals to assist implementing best practices around employment
- Centre for Disability Employment Research and Practice (CDERP) has some great video interviews about customised employment on their Facebook page
Improving our practice: Resources for employers and employment providers
- COVID-19 Best Practices for employment consultants and other professionals
- The Australian Disability Clearinghouse on Education and Training (ADCET) has a huge number of resources and information: there are webinars, podcasts and whole lot of information on good practice. We particularly like information on inclusive technology.
- Listen to our Ticket to Work podcast on life after school
- Three webinar recordings on employment engagement (we particularly like the second one). Great hints on what employers want. The finding are similar to what we found in our research into employers.
- This webinar Expanding Employment Opportunities for Young people using Customised Employment (if prefer can read the transcript)
- Online learning resource is a guide through the process of supporting people with cognitive disabilities to make decisions
- Working collaboratively in lock down. To improve school transition we need to work together, how to do this in these times? Resources and videos from Collective impact forum explore the challenge and blog on managing change for collective impact.
Resources for parents
- This guide aims to provide families with information, advice and resources to help a young person prepare for their life after school. This resource is designed to be used with the Get Ready Workbook that is for young people themselves (see above)
- Great videos, resources and information for parents in planning and supporting their child to transition from school to work. From the Parent Center on Transition and Employment
- Watch our video series for parents around supporting school to work transition
- Resource on Tips on supporting transition and what Ticket to Work has put together
- Belonging Matters support parents and runs online workshops, provides education, resources, mentoring and advice about social inclusion and belonging. See events
- Keeping your child fit in lock down. There are a number of other Youtube options on your child’s interests, we like PE with Joe
- Increasing Independent Living Skills for Employment Success. During lock down its a great time to develop some independent living skills around the house
COVID related information
- The Australian Coalition for Inclusive Education has developed resource ‘Learning at home to assist children and young people with disability and families to organise and plan for learning at home during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Resources for individuals with ASD and their Family Members during the COVID-19 Closure. (USA resources)
- NDIS information, a whole range on information and resources from the NDIS regarding Coronavirus including easy english information
- Resources for the disability sector on all things COVID- 19
If you have any questions or would like to let us know about a valuable resource email email@example.com